Uber-trendy Miami, Southern Florida’s crown jewel: where cutting-edge urban chic co-exists with the beauty and splendour of a tropical paradise. Fantastic year-round sunshine, top-ranked white sand beaches and the sparkling waters of Biscayne Bay are the backdrops for a vibrant cosmopolitan metropolis.
Boasting a lively arts and cultural landscape, renowned nightlife scene and world-class dining and entertainment, Miami draws an eclectic mix of visitors from sizzling celebrities to frolicking families seeking fun in the sun. Visit the art deco area of South Beach (or SoBeach), a trendy neighbourhood alive with surfers catching the waves in a turquoise ocean, models sauntering along golden sands and rollerbladers gliding down Ocean Drive.
Discover stylish restaurants and glamorous neon-lit beach bars and plenty of shopping opportunities. For unique landscapes, look to the network of barrier islands, coral rock and mangrove swamps, connected by manmade additions of soaring bridges, stately causeways and panoramic roads.
Miles and miles of white sugar sand beaches hug the coastline, while the waters of the mighty Atlantic Ocean and tranquil Biscayne Bay gently envelop the city. With an unparalleled mix of ethnic and cultural groups that spreads throughout the city’s environs, Miami has “a live and let live” philosophy. Put on your favourite pastel colours, blend in with the locals and find yourself instantly getting into the Miami laid-back mood.
Things to do
The Sagamore, or Art Hotel, is a super-stylish luxurious hotel sitting right on Miami Beach in the heart of the fantastic shopping district.
The Angler’s Resort is a delightful and intimate hotel with a good location just a few minutes’ walk from the hustle of Ocean Drive and the beach.
Top tips for visiting Miami
• While it’s usually always warm and sunny, Miami is also a tropical climate which means there’s lots of humidity and random rain showers. You might be walking around Lincoln Road on a sunny day and then the next minute clouds roll in and bring lots of heavy rain with it. The good thing is, the rain never usually lasts very long and the sun always tends to make its way back out, but it's always a good idea to carry an umbrella with you when you are planning to be outdoors.
2. Getting around
• Be prepared to do a little travelling. Miami is very spread out and has a lot to offer, so you’ll need to do some travelling to check out all the different neighbourhoods this place has to offer, such as Wynwood, Coral Gables, Midtown, and of course South Beach. There is a variety of ways to get around Miami including:
• Decobike - the Official Bike Sharing & Rental program. It is an alternative mode of transportation that is green, healthy & fun!
• Trolleys service offers residents, workers, and tourists in Downtown Miami a fun, free way to get around town and to connect to area attractions.
• Miami Seaplane Tours - a magical journey across Florida's most dramatic and ever-changing coastal skyline.
• The Segway gives you a secured and relaxed feeling of total control, at the same time traveling at speeds never seen before!
• Hertz on Demand - a city-sponsored car sharing system in the Sunshine State.
• The Metrorail system is a 25-mile dual track, elevated rapid transit system that provides service to Miami International Airport (MIA) and connects the urban centres.
• The Water Taxi - a hop-on hop-off water taxi
• SuperShuttle – a shared-ride airport shuttle service providing door-to-door ground transportation.
• A bit more time? Book a boat tour with Be Offshore and explore the man-made islands (Star Island, Hibiscus Island, Fisher Island etc.)